Skip to content
Basic Income Guarantee
- Enact a basic income guarantee to ensure every adult in Ontario has more than enough money to pay for their accommodation, food, transportation, electricity and modest living expenses like kids activities or a gym membership.
- Establish a living wage by assessing the cost of living region by region ($16.58 in Kingston and The Islands) to make sure no one is living below the poverty line.
- Provide economic security at times of transition such as going back to school, job loss, poor crop yield, or starting a family or business through the basic income guarantee .
ODSP and OW
- Immediately increase Ontario Disability Support Payment and Ontario Works payments toward rates that match the low income measure to address the inadequacy of current social programs.
- Increase asset limits for Ontario Works and Ontario Disability Support Payment recipients, with the amount to be indexed to inflation.
- Modernize the eligibility requirements for Ontario Works to further empower recipients to find and maintain meaningful work. End the claw back of employment earnings that create a disincentive to work.
- Extend health benefits (e.g. Assistive Devices Program, Medical Transportation) to cover low income Ontarians outside of the social assistance system. We also support a universal dental care and pharmacare.
- Ensure that social assistance programs are responsive to the needs of people with mental health and addictions-related disabilities through ensuring eligibility criteria recognizes their illness and that payments are not interrupted during times of transition (e.g. hospitalization, incarceration).
- Increase the personal income tax exemption for low income individuals.